Monday, July 13, 2009

Back From Hawaii.....With Movie Reviews Pt. 1

If you have noticed a slight decline in the number of Badskiblog posts that are commonly used to quench your thirst for cranium stimuli, it is because the wife and I were in Hawaii for the last week living the dream. More to come on a trip summary post, however I figured I better get back into action blogging again. On the long leg of our trip from Salt Lake City to Honolulu we were on a pretty large Delta plane both ways that had personal TV's at each seat. The TV's had a touch screen and a pretty decent free movie selection. Between the two trips there and back I got my fill of 4 different movies that definitely made the trip seem a little faster and much more enjoyable. Here are some short reviews of the flicks.

The first film I watched was "I Love You Man." IMBd has the following to say about the movie's plot.

In I Love You, Man, a comedy from John Hamburg (Along Came Polly, co-writer of Meet The Parents, Meet The Fockers, Zoolander), Peter Klaven (Paul Rudd, Knocked Up The 40 Year Old Virgin) is a successful real estate agent who, upon getting engaged to the woman of his dreams, Zooey, (The Offices Rashida Jones), discovers, to his dismay and chagrin, that he has no male friend close enough to serve as his Best Man. Peter immediately sets out to rectify the situation, embarking on a series of bizarre and awkward man-dates, before meeting Sydney Fife (Jason Segel, Forgetting Sarah Marshall), a charming, opinionated man with whom he instantly bonds. But the closer the two men get, the more Peters relationship with Zooey suffers, ultimately forcing him to choose between his fiancée and his new found bro, in a story that comically explores what it truly means to be a friend.


I have to say that I really enjoyed this movie. Any guy who starts to go down the road of commitment with a minx of the opposite sex can relate to the struggles of remaining close with friends and staying in touch with their manliness. I would say this movie is a must see for any guy age 21-40, especially if you enjoy the comedy/down to earth storylines of other movies starring Rudd and Segal. My favorite parts have to be when the guys are hanging in the man cave jamming Rush tunes. It's an instant classic scene and it only makes the actual Rush concert scene that much funnier. Check out the movie and tell me I am wrong on this one....it's a classic. All in all this is a great comedy that has a cool quasi-meaningful lesson to be learned feeling about it. I would go out of my way to watch this again.

The next movie I watched was "Gran Torino." This movie's plot looked a little thin from the previews I saw in the theatres a while back but with the selection on the plane I figured Id give it a whirl. It was pretty intense and about as polar opposite of I Love You Man as you can get. IMBd said the following:

Walt Kowalski is a widower who holds onto his prejudices despite the changes in his Michigan neighborhood and the world around him. Kowalski is a grumpy, tough-minded, unhappy an old man, who can't get along with either his kids or his neighbors, a Korean War veteran whose prize possession is a 1972 Gran Torino he keeps in mint condition. When his neighbor Thao, a young Hmong teenager under pressure from his gang member cousin, tries to steal his Gran Torino, Kowalski sets out to reform the youth. Drawn against his will into the life of Thao's family, Kowalski is soon taking steps to protect them from the gangs that infest their neighborhood.


Upfront disclaimer: don't watch this movie if you are easily offended by racial slurs or scenes involving racial tension! I know its only a movie but for someone from my generation who is typically so far removed from that kind of language and behavior it can be a shock. Other than that I thought the film was pretty good. Enough Clint Eastwood badassness to be entertaining while also showing the development of him and those around him as people which adds some depth to a plot I thought was a little thin going in. Not the best movie I have ever seen but I definitely didnt feel like I wasted two hours either. Rent it.

Stay tuned for part two of my movie reviews.

No comments: