Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Story Of Mint - How Mint Went From Garage To $170 Million

Going from garage to being sold for $170 million dollars in only a few short years is in itself an amazing story. However this post isn't meant to dazzle you with tales of huge company buyouts. This post is about providing insight into the formation and progression of a start up. The video features Mint CEO Aaron Patzer who is a self proclaimed recovering nerd. The video is kind of geared towards a tech audience but there are many lessons that transcend the type of business you are creating that I am sure will be valuable to BadskiBlog readers. At first I really enjoyed the video because it had great insight into start up challenges and the different stages of the formation of a company. Patzer focuses on cash flow and funding which are the lifeblood of a business and he offers up lessons learned and real life Mint examples. The part that got me going about this presentation was the personal side of the entrepreneur. Patzer opens up and gives a glimpse into his own personal journey through Mint's creation.

"It has been something that has been transformative for me" - CEO Aaron Patzer


Patzer goes on to say that it (the creation of a company) does for you beyond money is very gratifying. Something that really resonated with me was when he said to create something from nothing is the essence of human progress. I think people like myself who are drawn intuitively to business and entrepreneurship are really drawn to create. If I was even remotely handy I could see myself never entering a classroom again and doing some form of construction and loving it. However, I think my own personal journey will have me create more with my mind than my hands. To me that is where the video was really valuable. It was just an awesome look into the journey of the person and the struggle through the self doubts etc.

I am a user of Mint and I recommend it to everyone when we get on the topic of personal finance. I highly recommend you use it as well. As far as free goes on the internet this site may be the best there is. I have been using it for a few years now and I have seen the features grow and expand and I think it is a must have in your internet favorites for anyone who is looking for transparency in where your money actually goes, how your investments are actually doing, and what your net worth actually is. Enjoy the video and start using the site.


Mint CEO Aaron Patzer on Startups from Techcrunch on Vimeo.

No comments: