Tuesday, May 19, 2009

New Blog Addition (And Bonus Cool Quotes)-The Art of Manliness


I have put yet another blog through the Badski trial run, and that blog is The Art of Manliness. Do not be deceived by the name. This isn't a blog about hunting and killing wild animals with your bare hands, or dressing like a lumberjack, or finding new ways disconnect from all things emotional and 'girly.' This site is aimed at restoring the glory that is manliness; what it used to and should represent.

The Art of Manliness is authored by husband and wife team, Brett and Kate McKay. It features articles on helping men be better husbands, better fathers, and better men. In our search to uncover the lost art of manliness, we’ll look to the past to find examples of manliness in action. We’ll analyze the lives of great men who knew what it meant to “man up” and hopefully learn from them. Every week we seek to uncover the essential skills and knowledge today’s man needs to know.

My idea for the Art of Manliness came about as I was reading Men’s Health magazine. It seemed to me that the magazine’s contents were continually going downhill, with more and more articles about sex and how to get six pack abs. Was this all there was to being a man? And as I looked around at the men my age, it seemed to me that many were shirking responsibility and refusing to grow up. They had lost the confidence, focus, skills, and virtues that men of the past had embodied and were a little lost. The feminism movement did some great things, but it also made men confused about their role and no longer proud of the virtues of manliness. This, coupled with the fact that many men were raised without the influence of a good father, has left a generation adrift as to what it means to be an honorable, well-rounded man.

Talking about honorable manliness was to me a niche seemingly not covered on the web or elsewhere, and I decided to start The Art of Manliness to talk about all things manly- both the serious and the fun, but with the ultimate eye toward encouraging readers to be better husbands, fathers, brothers, men.

I don’t claim to have all the answers, nor do I claim that I’m an expert on all things manly. I started this blog not because I had all the answers to being a man, but because I wanted to explore the questions with other men. Thankfully, I’ve found a whole community of men who wish to discover the lost art of manliness too.


Not only does the blog have an awesome mission statement that falls right in line with BadskiBlog's underlying theme of self improvement and passion for life, it has some incredibly useful and entertaining content as well. I recently discovered that a guy I went to college with is a contributing writer for the blog as well. He is a good dude who is practicing what he preaches. Small world.

I thought this latest post was perfect to give you a taste of what The Art of Manliness is all about. You know the annoying posters that say some inherently good trait that all people think they have? Like when they say "attitude" and then it has some cheesy advice below and a picture of some stream or a waterfall. Yeah those posters. Well they dedicated an entire series of posters to Teddy Roosevelt and put some of his finest quotes on them. Great lessons learned from quite a manly man.

No one preached the art of manliness more ardently or lived it more fervently than TR. To start your week off with a swift kick in the pants of manly inspiration, we’ve created some TR-themed motivational posters. Each poster includes a picture of Roosevelt living the strenuous life, along with a motivational quote from the man himself.

No comments: