Thursday, October 22, 2009

Trip Summary: From One Portland To The Other


Last weekend the in laws came into town and we all made the short trek up to Portland Maine. I have to say that I didn’t expect to love Portland Maine, especially since I am from Portland Oregon and think it’s the best city ever, but I really did love it. Having just done some brief research on the city I discovered that it has won numerous awards so I shouldn’t have been too surprised. Normally I dont place much merit in those types of awards but I must say that with my experience in Portland I can truly say that most of those awards are warranted.

Ranked as Bon Appétit magazine's America's Foodiest Small Town (2009).[11]
Ranked #1 on Forbes.com America's Most Livable Cities (2009).[12]
Ranked #6 on Relocate America's Top 10 Places to Live in 2007.[13]
Ranked #12 in the world by Frommer's in its list of Top Travel Destinations for 2007.[14]
Ranked #20 in Inc. Magazine 2006 Boom Town List of Hottest Cities for Entrepreneurs.
Ranked #7 on the 2005 list of the 100 Best Art Towns in America. (The Countryman Press, April 2005)


Despite the cold, the city was very walkable. The old city section of town was a particular favorite with bars and restaraunts and shops galore. The town has a very old colonial feel that feels a little more European that any city in the US I have been to thus far. It was very charming. Not a typical word in my vocabulary but its really the only word that fits. Portland was one of those places where you feel an aura radiating from it. Almost like you are transformed to a different era. We did a lot of wandering and just taking the city in which made for a relaxing weekend. We went lobstering which was quite the experience. On the way out of town we stopped in at the Portland Headlight which was the total cliche lighthouse but it was pretty beautiful. All and all I ate more lobster and fried food that I have in the last 5 years combined, had some great beers in some great pubs, listened to some good music, and had a great time taking in a very unique American city. My wife's family and I had a great time and I will definitely be heading back up to Portland in the future. Below are some pictures, videos (sideways rookie film job on my phone), and links to some of the sights I recommend hitting if you ever travel there.

Portland Headlight
1000 Shore Road
Cape Elizabeth, ME
04107
(207) 799-2661
Email cephl@aol.com
http://www.portlandheadlight.com/

Lucky Catch Cruises
170 Commercial St
Phone: 761-0941
Web: www.luckycatch.com
1 1/2 hour lobstering excursions from Memorial Day to Columbus Day. Pull traps near lighthouses & seals.

Bull Feeney's
375 Fore St
Phone: 773-7210
Web: www.bullfeeneys.com
An Irish pub & restaurant dedicated to the immigrant families who built today's Portland.

Portland Harbor Hotel
468 Fore St
207.775.9090
www.portlandharborhotel.com
Experience Old Port charm, distinctive details & impeccable service

Three Dollar Dewey's
241 Commercial St
Phone: 772-3310
Web: www.3dollardeweys.com
Portland's original alehouse. 36 Draft beers & 42 bottles. Reasonably priced pub fare. Free popcorn!

Portland Lobster Co
180 Commercial St
Phone: 775-2112
Web: www.portlandlobsterco.com
Enjoy Maine's best lobster roll, lobster dinners, fried clams, beer & wine on our large deck!

Fore Street Restaurant
288 Fore St.
Phone: 775-2717
Web: www.forestreet.biz
Offering peasant style American food cooking in the heat of live wood fire ovens.

Novare Res Bier Cafe
4 Canal Plaza
Phone: 761-2437
Web: novareresbiercafe.com
Bier Cafe. Great selection, huge outdoor deck.















No comments: