Friday, February 20, 2009

Guest Bloggage

Guest Bloggage - I have created yet another BadskiBlog installment that I plan to keep going throughout my flourishing blogging career. Eventually I will have to stop creating new features and installments and actually start following up on them. I wanted to start a new guest bloggage feature for a few reasons. First and foremost I want to keep my blog somewhat interesting and I can't think of a better way of doing it than getting interesting people to write guest posts for me. I also acknowledge the fact that I don't know it all. In fact the more I learn the more I realize that I really don't know much and have only scratched the surface of what is out there. So I am leveraging the knowledge and talents of other people. The guest bloggage topics are left completely up to the guest and will range from advice on investing, self improvement lessons, to any random thing the guest feels like (which is evident from the first guest blogger). So my first guest bloggage entry was sent in by someone who actually bleeds a little bit of Badski. That's right it is my cousin Nick who blogs as the Hundley and maintains the blog of eternal stench. Enjoy the new segment and the beautiful picture painted with words courtesy of the Hundley.



Have you ever stopped to look back on your life? Thought about certain things that you've experienced and how they had a profound impact on your life? Maybe you learned the valuable lesson of taking nothing for granted after living through the 2003 Cub postseason or Brant Brown's gaff in 1998. Perhaps you were taught a lesson on how to be a Class Act by worshiping guys like Andre Dawson, Guy LeFleur, and Walter Payton growing up. Quite possibly you learned to never give up after watching Jim Valvano's speech or simply by watching Stallone, Pele, and Michael Caine in "Victory". Yes, sports and pop culture have the power to teach us valuable lessons that will help us all on our journey through life. One of the greatest things I've learned in my 30 years from television is how to fight off a boner. And I have Chris Isaak to thank for that.
When Wicked Game was shown on MTV in the early 90's, I was but a lad trying to transition from elementary school to Junior High. You remember, don't you? All of the girls were starting to get breasts and wearing bras while you sat there with a few whiteheads, your hair chock-full of Dapper Dan, parted on the side, sporting "The Wave" hairstyle that Tyler from "Life Goes On" had (sans mullet, of course). Hypercolor shirts were taking precedence over your Rude Dog shirts from 6th grade. Those were the bomb, but could do little to suppress the stiffy you got from staring at your partner's chest in Spanish Class. Something had to be done, and quick. You couldn't possibly sit cross-legged all the time. Sure baggy shirts were in, but what if you got called up to the chalk board? You can't hide that thing.
Luckily Chris Isaak helped me out. This was back when MTV actually showed videos (a novel concept). My family had exactly one TV in the house so consequently, we watched it together as a family. Perhaps I was being punished by God, but Wicked Game seemed only to come on while I was watching TV while my parents were around. Talk about awkward. Hopefully my parents were distracted reading the paper or playing Jenga, because watching Helena Christiansen rolling around on a beach half naked was a bit "off-putting" to view in the presence of your parents, to say the least. Changing the channel was out of the question, you couldn't bring attention to it, and goddamn, that was one video that was too steamy to leave. Nevermind the fact that Chris Isaak looked like he was stuck in the 50's with his get-up, that guy quickly became my hero. It was a video you watched over and over, thinking perhaps you missed a nipple slip the first 100 times you watched it. It made good conversation in the lunchroom, bragging up your machoness by saying jugs, tits, rack, set and the like. As a good friend of mine states, "Any male between the ages of 22 and 32 remembers EXACTLY where and when they saw the Wicked Game video for the first time." This was life-altering stuff. Once I found that I could get through that video while still managing to hold back "The Glory", I pretty much had Junior High figured out. No longer would I feel that slow dancing with a female was impossible. Teen Night at the YMCA swimming pool? Bring it on. Walking on a nude beach in Cancun as an 8th grader? Well...okay, just like the Pull-Out Method of birth control, it isn't 100% effective, but it's better than nothing.
Chris Isaak - a champion of the people. It sure was a groundbreaking experience for me. And I'll be damned if I've ever seen a video since that leaves me more uncomfortable when in the presence of family. Christ, that's saying something when you're 30 years old. God bless you, Chris Isaak. Now, if we could only get your show back on the air and more of you on Leno...

No comments: