Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Music Review


I am starting a new segment that hopefully I can contribute to on a consistent basis; music reviews. I love music. My true passion is metal so I imagine most of my contributions will be geared towards that genre and its sub-genres, but who knows what the future may bring. The band I want to write about is fresh on the scene and truly serves as a breath of fresh air. I am speaking of Sylosis. These guys come to us from the land of forgotten bands the UK. It seems like it has been so long since I actually liked a band from the UK so it was a treat to get my hands on their stuff. I cannot take credit for their discovery. Those accolades must be directed towards my little brother who is the Lewis and Clark of metal, as it seems that every badass band I find comes courtesy of him.


Their debut full length Conclusion of an Age is one of those albums that truly sets the bar high for this young talent. Some of my best memories as a kid were of putting on cheesy metal shirts over my bowl cut head and taking the bus with my brother and buddy to the mall or to records stores to "live the metal life." Living the metal life basically entailed being in public with an Obituary long sleeve death metal shirt, talking about chicks, talking about metal, and going to 'discover new trues' which were legitimate metalists by the standards we set at the time. What a great time in my life. When I first heard Sylosis the first thing I thought of was how they shredded life, but the second thing I thought of was the glory days living the metal life.


What's the point you ask? Well the point is that my metal life story is synonymous with what this band is all about. These guys have an uncanny ability of bringing back the thrash days of old while incorporating new influences and playing styles. These guys mix master of puppets era Metallica, rust in peace Megadeth, and beneath the remains Sepultura with newer melodic guitar styles and harsh singing of In Flames, All that Remains, Killswitch Engage. Am I saying these guys are better than all those bands....no. But they kick ass and their debut full length shows that they have the potential to be a great band for many years.


If you have a craving for a bowl cut and metal shirts then check these shredders out. They reign!. Check out the posted videos on my blog or look them up on Myspace and spread the word...they deserve it.

No comments: