Monday, April 13, 2009

Cool Concept And An Important Lesson


Tired of waiting for a half hour, inching your way through a crowded bar to pay $7 for a beer? Well those days are over if you pick the right establishment. Minibar has created a self service bar! All you need is a passport, license or credit card and you are given a key to your own minibar within the actual bar. The drinks are counted when you retrieve your card and you pay before you leave. What a great concept. I might have to "borrow" this idea and replicate it.

Not only is this a cool business idea, it is a valuable reminder that within every problem lies an opportunity. Even when that problem seems impossible to solve, like the waiting for a beer in a pub problem, a twist on the old way of thinking can instantly become a competitive advantage. I love entrepreneurship and my dream is to be an entrepreneur. I think its stories like this that make me love it. Entrepreneurs come up with the ideas that make you say "why didn't I think of that?" It seems so simple and in your face that you're amazed that no one has done it before. I really want to make a conscious effort to start recognizing even the simplest discomforts and begin brainstorming ways to exploit them for profit. Easier said than done but surely a great habit to get into.

1 comment:

sawyer said...

I would work for a mind/entrepeneur like you in a heart beat...you get anything going let me know...I have an idea or 2 of my own you may like...