Thursday, April 23, 2009

Guest Bloggage (And Bonus Cool Quotes) - John Satterberg


Guest Bloggage With John Satterberg - I am pleased to present to all you BadskiBlog enthusiasts an awesome guest post by one of my best friends John (Opie) Satterberg. Opus and I grew up playing hockey together and began our quest into the awesome world of metal together. He served (and will continue to serve on the reunion tour) as the bassist and stage presence facilitator for our currently hibernating melodic metal band Mask Of Sanity. He is a true lifelong learner and an avid reader. He left his father's company to take a job in construction for a lot less money, and within a few years started his own construction company Satterberg Construction. I reached out to him to shed some light on how he started his own business, and he surpassed all expectations by delivering this beauty. Enjoy and if you are interested in adding a Guest Bloggage post to the BadskiBlog collection contact me at Truecore27@aol.com.

I’ve had trouble getting started on this installment of Badski’s guest blog for quite some time now and have decided to take a different approach to what may be ‘Conventional.’ When asked “How I started my business?” I could literally write a how-to manual that would read like stereo instructions and would be boring as hell; there are plenty of how to manuals out there for starting businesses and building houses. I could also share something based more on the ‘why?’ I started my business, which I feel is more important.

Most people have destinations that they want to arrive at during their lives, whether it’s an abundance of money, a meaningful relationship, a perfect family, a bunch of toys, etc., and people become so consumed with trying to reach their given destinations that they neglect the only opportunity they have to make any kind of a difference and that opportunity is only experienced in the now. In the past I have been stressed, anxious, fearful and hopeless in many different settings and if I had not experienced these feelings I would not have learned some of the valuable tools that I now have that bring me back into the present moment whenever my mind wants to be in the future.

The feelings listed above were all a result of my being in one situation and wanting to be in the future, thus resulting in anxiety caused by my mind, which is separate from being. The only real title I feel that anyone can give oneself is ‘human being.’ The attachments to titles such as “assistant to the assistant manager of the movie theater” are taken so seriously that I find them amusing. When speaking of being, I am referring to the oneness of all things, the energy flowing through all life forms in the universe, God if you will (George Lucas calls it ‘The Force’). The word that best describes this feeling of being is enlightenment.

I will not go so far as to say that I am ‘Enlightened,’ however in some of the hardest times of my life I have eventually come to experience the deepest feelings of peace, serenity, appreciation, wonder, and love, and in the feeling of these feelings I came to the realization that no matter what happens in this life, I will be OK. I was unaware until recently that the word for what I speak of is enlightenment, experiencing being to the fullest, which is nothing at all. It is everything stripped away to the very essence of who you are. Nothing in life is possible without love. Yes I believe in God, and I believe that God is not found outside oneself and that there is no one religion that has the right answer over another, I believe that God is everywhere and in everything and that God is here and now, presence, enlightenment, being.

This is ‘Why’ I started my business. I started my business because I learned that in life you are not a failure if you don’t make it, you are a success because you went for it and hopefully learned something along the way. The biggest struggles that we face are also the biggest opportunities for growth, and when we are experiencing the most pain around a given issue, we are simultaneously doing the most growing. I have a little black journal that I take with me everywhere. This journal is filled with quotes, ideas, fortunes, and other miscellaneous things that I find insightful. I’ll share some of my favorites. Thanks for reading, have fun and enjoy!

“The mouth of a wise man is in his heart.” –Benjamin Franklin

“The more I read, the more I meditate, and the more I acquire, the more certain I am that I know nothing.” –Voltaire

“Good people are good because they’ve come to wisdom through failure. We get very little wisdom from success you know.” -William Saroyan

“Man can learn nothing except by going from the known to the unknown.” –Claude Bernard

“He who knows others is learned; He who knows himself is wise.” –Lao Tzu

“Man’s mind stretched to a new idea never goes back to its original dimensions.” –Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

“The foolish person seeks happiness in the distance; the wise person grows it under his feet.” –James Oppenheim

“Courage means doing things in spite of fear.” –Dr. Laura Schlessinger

“If one remains on a journey of spiritual growth, one’s capacity to love grows and grows.” –M. Scott Peck

“He said that successful men rarely know the real reasons for their success, even though they always think they know. He added that this is caused by the fact that they’re too close to the forest to see the trees. That explanation had a big effect on me; if I couldn’t rely on the traditional advice of successful people, what could I rely on? It finally became apparent that the only solution was to develop my own philosophy and techniques, based on my own personal experience.” –Robert J. Ringer

“Through considerable wasted time, effort, and money, I found that most people, who claim to be real estate buyers (or buyers of any big ‘product’ for that matter) seldom, if ever, actually close a sale.” –Robert J. Ringer

“The more limited the parameters of consciousness, the more constrained the experience of life. Without consciousness there is no way to experience who we are.” –Shirley MacLaine

“If your goal is to become financially secure, you’ll likely attain it…but if your motive is to make money to spend money on the good life…you’re never gonna make it.” –Mr. Martin

“A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow.” –General Patton

“Work as if you didn’t need the money. Aim for the point where you don’t do anything unless your heart is in it.” –Richard Templar

“Never mention how much you’ve got, what you’re worth, or how much you earn.” –Richard Templar

“Great moments are born from great opportunities.” –Herb Brooks

“The person who wants the deal the most gets the worst deal.” –Jo-Ellan Dimitrius

“If one throws salt at thee thou wilt receive no harm unless thou hast sore places.” –Latin Proverb

“All men’s miseries derive from not being able to sit quiet in a room alone.” –Blaine Pascal

No comments: