Thursday, March 26, 2009

Drug Testing for Welfare Recipients


Read this article I came across today. I have heard more and more mentioned about this recently. From what little I know about the topic I see nothing wrong with drug testing welfare recipients. To be completely honest I am pretty amazed by some of the arguments against doing drug testing.

"It's an example of where you could cut costs at the expense of a segment of society that's least able to defend themselves," said Frank Crabtree, executive director of the West Virginia chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union.

What are they defending themselves against? If you are using drugs you are breaking the law. It is pretty cut and dry. Not only are you breaking the law but the government is in essence subsidizing your drug use at the expense of the American taxpayer. I just don't understand how this isn't common sense? I played division I sports where drug testing is a yearly occurrence. These are amateur athletes we are talking about. Yet when we are providing American tax dollars to those without a job we are acting like it is a trampling of their civil liberties to make them take a drug test before we hand them a check?! I don't know maybe I am just missing something here, if so I would love to hear it in the comments section.

No comments: